These are my own words and my own requests, not the words of Rooster Teeth or Achievement Hunter. Please do not take them as more than my own opinion/thoughts.
Personally, I think Connect the hots is a stupid, creepy and childish game. Always have, always will. I have more feelings on it, but this is all I will share for now. I am more interested in how all of you feel about this. If you have a minute, please comment on this post or reblog it with your thoughts. I’m looking for the following info:
1. Does Connect the hots offend and/or upset you. Why?
2. Have/will you take action because of connect the hots (unfollow Geoff/Gavin/Barbara/Gus, stop watching the shows, leave the fandom, etc)?
3. What would you want to see from Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter/Geoff/Gavin to make amends?
I ask because I care about the community and want to know how everyone feels.
P.S. Do not argue with people in this post as it’s rude and creates spam. I’d really like to be able to read everyone’s responses.
1. Yes, it does offend and upset me. I’ve been a fan of these people for years, I’ve looked up to them, I’ve watched their videos every day, and now I find out that they’re stalking women who they find attractive because it’s “fun”. Well I’ve been followed before, and so has pretty much every girl I know, and let me tell you, for us, it’s not fucking fun. These women aren’t aware that the strange men following them in a car aren’t going to hurt them. They’re scared, and they feel like objects, because that’s exactly how you’re treating them. Women are people, you see, and as people, we don’t enjoy being treated like shiny toys for your amusement. Actually, it makes us feel like shit, and we internalize that hatred.
And not only are you harassing people, Geoff and Gavin, you are encouraging others to do the same. Think about that for a minute. Rooster Teeth has a lot of fans. Millions, in fact. So who’s to say a couple of them won’t take the “game” a step further? Instead of just rolling down the window, maybe they’ll step out of the car. Ask the woman where she’s headed. If she wants to go for a drink. What happens when she says no? Once they start treating women this way, like they’re entitled to women’s bodies, it doesn’t take much for men to become violent.
What’s almost as disturbing as the act itself is that when Michael confronts him about it, Gavin seems to show absolutely no remorse, nor any sign at all that he understands that what he’s doing is wrong. He tries to justify his actions by saying that looking at a cute girl makes him feel good. Well guess what, Gavin. This may shock you, but their right to feel safe and comfortable is more important than your right to stare at women’s bodies without their consent. The way Gus and Barbara support Gavin’s excuses is unsettling, to say the least.
The fact that Gavin and Geoff are advocating this behavior is disgusting. It is especially shocking to me that Geoff, a married man with a daughter, is participating in this. Geoff, how would you feel if someone played this “game” with your daughter? What if she was one of the “hots” followed around by strangers? Would you still support it? I don’t think so.
2. Yes, I will take action because of “Connect The Hots”. I am an active member of the community. I am a sponsor on roosterteeth.com, I have bought Rooster Teeth and Achievement Hunter merchandise, and I watch their videos frequently. I run a popular Achievement Hunter themed blog, which has been discussed in the Internet Box Podcast as well as Minecraft Let’s Plays, and I have been contacted by Michael himself.
Since I have become aware of the toxic mindset of at least four prominent RT employees, I will cancel my sponsorship. I don’t see myself watching another AH video for a while, and I definitely don’t plan on purchasing more RT merch any time soon. In fact, if this issue isn’t addressed, I may leave the fandom completely.
3. Honestly? I don’t think anything they can do will make amends, unless Geoff and Gavin can somehow genuinely and personally apologize to every woman they’ve harassed. (And if this is their attitude towards women, I doubt this “game” is their first offense in that area.) They can start by apologizing to us, the fandom, but really, we’re not the ones who are hurt here.
At the very least, I want Geoff and Gavin to truly understand that what they’re doing is horrible, apologize, and swear to never do it, or anything like it, ever again. I also want them to publicly discourage their fans from taking part in the “game”, and give clear reasons as to why doing so is wrong.
This is rape culture. This is real, and it is why rape happens every day. I know Achievement Hunter likes to pretend that they don’t have female fans, but they do, and we, as well as all women, deserve better than this.